Popular Posts

Friday, August 24, 2007

Malted Milk Balls and Other Downfalls

It has been a rough week.

Lately, and especially this week, baby Kara has been having a hard time sleeping. She wants to eat constantly.

Somehow, I can relate to that.

Anyway, the problem is that it makes for a short night, sleep-wise. I have been chronically sleep-deprived for over a year, if you count the months I was pregnant as well as the past eight months of breastfeeding. This past week has been so bad, I have had a headache nearly every day.

The problem comes in that I decided this week I'd up my calorie intake to see what happens, as I'm still not sure where my caloric needs lie. I have been going for 2000-2200 calories.

With this policy over the past four days, I have gained over two pounds.

Obviously, that's not likely, because we're actually only talking an extra 200 calories every day, and I'm exercising nearly every day on top of it. I know that part of the added pounds come from the humidity and the salt intake I've had lately, both of which have made me retain water. I know I'm retaining water because I suddenly, after one evening, cannot take off my grandmother's ring!

The real issue is that tonight, after all the tiredness, I ran into my downfall of the day:

Harry & David dark chocolate malted milk balls.

Hard to believe a little malted milk ball, at 20 calories apiece, could mess me up so badly. But somehow, that's exactly what it just did.

The tiredness (which I've discussed in a previous blog) combined with the sight of those little chocolate orbs made me say something I rarely say when it comes to food:

"Oh, what the hell!"

I ate probably 500 calories' worth of those darned little things. When I ate the last one, I dumped the bag and said, "Good, that's done."

That was a nice little diversion in calories, but now I'm annoyed!

Why did I do it?

The problem is, into all lives a little downfall must come. Everyone has an "off" day. I actually had a pretty darned good day. Not counting the malted milk balls, I stayed within my caloric limits, plus I spent 40 minutes on an elliptical trainer running my fanny off, and also spent 45 minutes doing weight machines (with Isaiah's help in ensuring my proper form) combined with two sets each of two different types of situps, where I did both sets "to failure" (read: I did them till I literally couldn't do any more).

But then came the malted milk balls. And I faltered.

The issue is, what now? Do I give up and say, well I blew it, I might as well REALLY blow it? Or do I dust myself off, tell myself "Darn that was dumb," and go back at it starting tomorrow?

Let's consider the options.

If I REALLY blow it, I'm going to have to work harder to make up for it.

If I dust myself off and go back at it starting tomorrow, I have to work a LITTLE harder, but not that much. We're really only talking an extra 200 calories for the whole day!

Which would you choose?

...OK. OK. REALLY blowing it sounds interesting, but frankly, the malted milk balls also made me sick to my stomach, so REALLY blowing it would probably make me REALLY ill. I realize some people would do that on purpose, but I'm not one of them. Bulimia never appealed to me.

Prevention Magazine says this, as one of their 100 smartest diet tips ever:

38. "I am a work in progress."

Notice it does NOT say, "I am perfect."

Being a work in progress means that into every life, a few malted milk balls must fall. Falling off the diet wagon, for one night, doesn't mean the end. It means a tiny bit of a detour, but that in itself is not unexpected, and not unmanageable.

As stated by bodyandhealth.canada.com, "Don't be deterred by gaining an extra pound or two. It was common for [diet] participants to gain an extra pound or two along the way. But those who ensured those pounds didn't add up quickly were the best at keeping the weight off."

So I gained my pound or two this week. It's happened before. It will happen again.

But you can be sure I'm not going to buy those malted milk balls again. Once was enough. I didn't enjoy eating them enough to want to repeat the experience!

Hmm. Maybe I am learning how to be thin, after all.



__________________________________________________________________________________
Disclaimer: Look, I'm not a doctor. However, I am a teacher certified in both California and Maine to teach science curriculum, including the human body (and health/nutrition) to kids in grades K-8. This blog is my attempt to wade through the current thinking on weight loss, and to present it in a way that makes sense to everyone. As a woman who is successfully recovering from obesity herself, I feel it's even more important to help others understand what I did to lose the weight; what worked, what didn't, and what the struggle has been like as I went from morbid obesity to fitness. It doesn't mean that I have all the answers, however. If you want to lose weight, by all means, read my blog--I think I can provide some help and clarity. BUT, please know that I am NOT a medical expert, and you should most definitely consult with your own doctor or family physician before undertaking any weight loss efforts yourself. Weight loss is a personal journey. I'm making mine visible to the world, but each of us has to take our own steps with our own doctor's guidance; please make sure you check in with yours before you try to do anything I have done. Good luck and God bless!

No comments: