Popular Posts

Sunday, August 19, 2007

The "Century Mark"

I did it!!! :D

Today, I went downstairs and, as per usual, jumped on the scale to check in.

It read 158.6--which means that, as of today, Sunday August 19, 2007, I have lost 101 pounds.

Wooooooooooooo-eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Words can't describe how I feel! My written goal (remember: I write every goal down) was to cross the 100 pound threshhold, or the "Century Mark", by September 1. And although I wasn't starving myself or over-exercising to get there artificially, I still managed to do it with over a week to spare.

It has been a long, long time since I last saw this weight. It was 1989, to be exact. I came home from a summer in Italy, got engaged, stopped all my walking and started eating, and I never really stopped.

In fact, for YEARS I lied about my weight on my driver's license. The license said 170, even when I was 259. Now, my weight is a lie again--but this time, on the happy side!

When Kent called in from GenCon to say HI, I told him about having broken the 100 pound mark, and he was so excited and proud for me! He said he had good news too, "But not as good as" mine, that he'd come in 12th overall in the big 7-hour gaming event they had last night. He was really proud of himself, to be up against the best gamers in the country, and come in 12th for the 2nd year running. I was happy for him too, but he was so excited on my behalf.

Now, you'd think I would want to go out and buy new clothes to celebrate. Well, remember, I've been hitting the shops (eBay, consignment, sales) so I am not destitute in the apparel department. However, there's yet another reason I don't need to hit the shops--the shops came to me!

You see, the girls' Godmother, "Auntie Sue", came up for a girls'-only weekend while Kent was gone, and she came up with a ton of clothes for me to borrow from her own closet. She has a LOT of clothes, far more than I think I've ever owned, and best yet, she has great taste.

There are some of the cutest little dresses (sheath-type) that I could have never worn before--I used to be really heavy on bottom and narrow on top, even when I was thinner...somehow my body shape changed! And boy, they look so good. There are suits, sweaters, pants, and this killer pantsuit that is a size 8 that I can't quite wear (yet), but I vow to, it's so pretty.

There's even a Laura-Ashley white sleeveless sheath dress that is a bit tight in the bodice, but after Kara is weaned, I think that'll fit properly. A few more pounds lost will help too. It's SO cute and sexy at the same time. I always wanted to wear Laura Ashley clothes, but I was too heavy.

So far, I've gone through all the non-boxed stuff, and I still have three huge tubs of clothes to go through. It's like my own little personal shopping session in my own home.

Now I need to get a full-length mirror for myself. Pathetically, I had to borrow my 7-year-old's mirror to see how things fit. LOL!

Today's weigh-in is not what I consider "official", only because my "official" weigh-in is always Monday. I'm not sure why I chose Monday. I used to chose Friday because that meant I could eat like mad all weekend and still starve myself up for Friday's weigh-in--cheating, to be sure. But I love Monday weigh-ins, although my Mother-In-Law and best friend (Pam) think I'm nuts because I have to weigh myself wearing blue jeans.

I know, I know. If I wear blue jeans, I'll weigh more. The goal isn't to weigh myself naked--because at my doctor's office, I wouldn't be naked either. I want to weigh myself wearing as close to the clothing I'd wear for an appointment as I can. That usually means jeans and a top; therefore, I wear jeans for my Monday weigh-ins. Otherwise I always add one pound to account for the extra weight when I weigh myself daily at home.

Yes, that means my scale ACTUALLY read 157.6 this morning. I added the pound for the jeans.

And that is why my MIL and Pam think I'm nuts. :D

Why do I weigh myself daily when Weight Watchers says to do it weekly? I learned that the daily weigh-in helps keep me honest. The weight, being front and center, is my motivation to eat well that day.

And being a Recovering Obesian (whatever you call Obese people) means that I really do take things one day at a time, just like a recovering alcoholic. If I screw up one day, well that was one day out of my life. I acknowledge it, and try to figure out what happened (usually stress or tiredness, although occasionally it's a choice to overeat--and I allow that).

Then I move on. That's the critical part.

I also don't think, "Well I screwed up today, I might as well really screw up, I'm such a loser". I used to do that but I've learned that each day is its own opportunity, and I make of that what I can.

So yeah, here I am, 101 pounds lighter, and a ton of clothes waiting for me to try them on. The baby is asleep, Maddy and Auntie Sue are watching "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" (because Maddy just finished reading the book--she can watch the movie after she's read the book), and I have NOTHING to do but dishes from last night's lobster fest (lobster, steamer clams, corn and a potato) and try on the clothes.

Oh, and I need to start writing to Oprah. Her show is looking for people who lost a lot of weight. I think I qualify (although I'm still in the process, and am not in "maintenance" yet).

Well, anyway...between the dishes and the clothes, guess which one I'm going to do?? :D

Have a fabulous day!

--Karina

"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere." - Frank A. Clark



__________________________________________________________________________________
Disclaimer: Look, I'm not a doctor. However, I am a teacher certified in both California and Maine to teach science curriculum, including the human body (and health/nutrition) to kids in grades K-8. This blog is my attempt to wade through the current thinking on weight loss, and to present it in a way that makes sense to everyone. As a woman who is successfully recovering from obesity herself, I feel it's even more important to help others understand what I did to lose the weight; what worked, what didn't, and what the struggle has been like as I went from morbid obesity to fitness. It doesn't mean that I have all the answers, however. If you want to lose weight, by all means, read my blog--I think I can provide some help and clarity. BUT, please know that I am NOT a medical expert, and you should most definitely consult with your own doctor or family physician before undertaking any weight loss efforts yourself. Weight loss is a personal journey. I'm making mine visible to the world, but each of us has to take our own steps with our own doctor's guidance; please make sure you check in with yours before you try to do anything I have done. Good luck and God bless!

No comments: